The first tourist village, Panchari, in Jammu Division of Udhampur, was launched recently at the Sankari Devta ground in Meer Panchari.
Panchari is a hill resort covered with rich conifer forest on the side, a small township on the other side. It is surrounded by Natha Top on the east, Saroli Dhar on the West, Shankhpaul Dhar on the north and Kainth Gali on the South.
Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha launched the Jammu and Kashmir Tourist Village Network under Mission Youth in September 2021. The initiative is aimed at transforming 75 villages of the Union Territory that are known for their historical relevance, picturesque beauty, and cultural significance.
Here are interesting things you should know about Panchari, the first tourist village of UT of Jammu Kashmir with home stay:
- For welcoming the tourists / guests a Tourist Reception Centre at Kainth Gali is under preparation which will facilitate the tourists and provide them sufficient information about the tourist area.
- For the tourists who want to be in peace with themselves and also want to be in direct contact with the God / Almighty, Panchari has such potential for Religious Tourism. Shankri Devta is one of the oldest historical temple in the area which is a spiritual / religious place at Panchari.
- To make the young generation aware of various agricultural / farm activities a farm trip comprising of various activities like field visits, visit to farms, milking of cows, preparation of butter, milk, watching of water mills / Atta Chakkis, spinning of handloom on old handlooms, sheep rearing, etc are being arranged for the experience of the tourist.
- To get the opportunity to purchase local authentic art and craft pieces as a memory pieces, a local bazaar namely “Saada Bazar – Saadi Birasat” with local art and craft prepared by local artisans Self-Help Groups has been established.
- Homestay facilities are also available in Panchari to boost tourism and generate income for the local youth. Homestays are identified, tourists can contact BDC and DDC Panchari for details. To know more in detail visit link: Tourist Village Panchari
Panchari is located at a distance of around 35 kms from Udhampur town, Panchari is an ideal place for Trekking, Camping and small getaways in the lap of nature away from the city life.
This tourism initiative will strengthen the rural economy and community entrepreneurship, empowering youth and women by providing direct and indirect employment opportunities .