awa Aromatic and organic basmati rice from Jammu is gaining popularity in the international market rapidly.
obsequiously The J&K state produces 1 lakh metric tonnes of exotic varieties of basmati rice in Jammu, Samba and Kathua districts in areas along the 198-km International Border with Pakistan. Around 30,000 metric tonnes is exported every year.
http://ncercc.co.uk/ncercc-analysis-and-evaluation-of-government-proposals-for-reforms-to-unregulated-provision-for-children-in-care-and-care-leavers/ The areas where basmati is produced in Jammu fall between the flood plains of the Tawi, the Basantar river and scores of rivulets which bring mineral-rich soil from the Himalayas and the Shivaliks mountains during rains.
Here are some other facts worth knowing about our famous basmati:
- Basmati grown in Jammu region is known for its long grain and fragrance. Local varieties also have natural pest resistance.
- Another plus point of Jammu’s basmati is use of relatively less amount of pesticides as compared to the rest of the country. Especially the
- As per a national survey, the use of chemical fertilisers in Punjab is above 200 kg per hectare while in J&K, it is below 70 kg per hectare.
- Estimates indicate 50,000 hectares in the state is under cultivation of different basmati varieties. About 40,000 hectares fall in Jammu district and 10,000 hectares in Samba and Kathua.
clgen-casino-it Read also: Interview with the Man behind first SME company from J&K to tap the stock market
- In Jammu, basmati prices range from Rs 60 to Rs 150 and above. Even as the state lifted ban on the export of basmati in 2009, it failed to bring it under the minimum support price category or establish grain mandis.