- The University of Jammu was established in 1969 by an Act of the State Legislature which effectively split the Jammu and Kashmir University into the separate Universities of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The University is at currently located on the banks of the Tawi River.
- The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs; it confers honorary degrees to persons of exceptional calibre.
- It also affiliates and recognizes colleges. The university has satellite campuses in Bhaderwah, Kathua and Poonch.
- The University motto states that it “is open to all classes and creeds with the sole objective to carry people from darkness to light. It is the first university in India to receive the ISO-9001 certification.