Would you believe that an MLA draws more salary than the Governor of the state? Yes, that’s true! In J&K, an MLA draws Rs 50000 more than the Governor of the state.
Here is what you need to know:
- According to news reports, Governor Satya Pal Malik is drawing a monthly salary of Rs 1.10 lakh, while an MLA or an MLC of the state legislature is drawing Rs 1,60,000.
- Besides getting 100 percent hike in their salaries, the Travelling Allowance of the legislators was raised in the year 2017 to Rs 2 lakhs and their sitting fee enhanced to Rs 2000 per sitting.
- The salaries of the MLAs and MLCs were hiked by 100% in July 2016 from Rs 80,000 to Rs 160,000.
- A legislator gets Rs 60,000 as basic salary, Rs 60,000 as CCA (Constituency Allowance), Rs 30,000 as telephone expenditure and Rs 10,000 as Medical Allowance (MA) which amounts to total gross salary as Rs 160,000.
- The Governor of the state, the salary is Rs 50,000 less than the legislators. In other states, the salary of the Governor is around Rs 3.50 lakh per month.
- Where would you find such unnatural style of functioning that a Governor is given peanuts and a legislator gets bonanza?
According to government records, an amount of Rs 958.67 lacs was spent in last five years as expenditure borne by the Estate department on accommodation including ministerial bungalows. The year wise breakdown is as under:
- 137.02 lacs (2010-11)
- 232.72 lacs (2011-2012)
- 190.97 lacs (2012-2013
- 215.64 lacs (2013-2014)
- 182.32 lacs (2014-2015)
The Estates department however says that the records of Deputy Director Estates Srinagar/Executive Engineer Estate Division Srinagar were washed away in the floods.