A total of 75 newly elected Corporators of the Jammu Municipal Corporation (JMC) on Tuesday took oath, paving the way for the formation of the corporation after 13 years. Among the Corporators, 27 are women.
Seventeen corporators took oath in English, 39 in Hindi, 14 in Dogri, two in Urdu, two in Sanskrit and one took oath in Punjabi.
The swearing in ceremony of Jammu Municipal Corporators has sufficiently been exalted citing the multi-cultural nature of our state. But there is another aspect of the events of the day which need deserve equal highlight. Here is what an article published in the Dainik Jagran has to offer:
- Last Tuesday, 75 JMC corporators took oath in General Zorawar Singh Auditorium of Jammu University. The highlight of every news was that these corporators took oath in Punjabi, Dogri, Urdu, Sanskrit and Hindi.
- The blunder of the day was that the Corporators were officiated with oath of Municipal Council, instead of Municipal Corporation.
- Surprisingly, the entire oath ceremony ran for hours and not a single objection was raised all this while.
- It is pertinent to mention that there are two Municipal Corporations in the state- Jammu Municipal Corporation and Srinagar Municipal Corporation.
- There are seven Municipal Councils in the state- Kathua, Udhampur, Poonch, Anantnag, Baramulla and Sopore. The rest 70 are Municipal Committees.
- A misplaced oath is as good as no-oath-at-all. This type of mistake at a prestigious swearing in ceremony is not something to ignore.
- Jammu, beware! A lot more could be in store for you!