The result of municipal polls of Jammu and Kashmir declared today. Elections results have decided the fate of 2,754 candidates, counting of votes took place for 79 municipalities across Jammu & Kashmir.
In Jammu region, urbal local body elections were held in Doda, Kathua, Ramban, Reasi, Kishtwar, Poonch, Rajouri, Udhampur and Samba.
Here are Interesting things to know about the Jammu & Kashmir Municipal polls 2018 Results:
- In Jammu Municipal Corporation there are 75 wards and BJP won 43 seats, Indian National Congress won 14 seats and Independent candidates won 18 seats. In municipal committees there are 7 wards of them BJP has won 2 seats, INC has won 4 seats and Independent candidate won 1 seat, the Election Commission was quoted as saying by ANI.
- The BJP has won 212 out of 520 wards in urban local body polls held in Jammu region of Jammu and Kashmir. Independent candidates secured more seats than Congress in municipal polls. While Congress won 110 wards, independent candidates were elected from 185 wards. JKNPP candidates were declared winner from 13 wards.
— Daily Excelsior (@DailyExcelsior1) October 20, 2018
3. Although there are 1,145 wards in all 79 municipalities, elections were held only for 720 wards due to the unopposed election of a large number of candidates, especially in the Valley.
Read also: The Dogra trumpet – KAEL
4.In the month-long election process, 3,372 candidates had filed their papers but 2,754 candidates were finally in the fray across the state.
5.Srinagar Municipal Corporation counting for 49 wards, Independents win 33 seats, 11seats to Congress and BJP secures 4 seats.
6. As per official data, 244 candidates were elected unopposed in J&K while there were no candidates for 181 wards in the Valley due to militant threats and the boycott call. Of 598 wards in Kashmir, 231 candidates were elected unopposed. In comparison, only 13 candidates were elected uncontested in the Jammu region.
7.Out of nearly 17 lakh voters, 5.97 lakh electorate (35.1 per cent) voted during the four-phase elections.
8. The BJP has failed to open its account in Ladakh region. Out of the total 26 wards in this region, the Congress bagged all the 13 seats in Leh municipal committee. It also bagged five wards in neighbouring Kargil district, news agency IANS reported.
9. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) along with the National Conference (NC), the CPI(M) and the BSP had boycotted the four-phased Urban Local Bodies elections which were held after a gap of 13 years.
10. The election in the 521 municipal wards in the 10 districts of Jammu was held in the first three phases of the elections in the state, which concluded on October 16, recording a high voter turnout of 68.4 per cent among the over 6.44 lakh electorate.
11. According to reports, BJP which has finally opened account in the Kashmir valley has bagged 100 seats—24 through polls and 76 uncontested. Congress won 157 seats—79 through contest and 78 uncontested while 103 independents were elected and 75 got elected uncontested.
Interestingly Janta Dal (United) also opened account and one a seat in Kupwara Municipal Committee.
12. 3 candidates including two Independents and one from BJP won today’s election of the Urban Local Bodies through a draw of lots.
In Ward No. 12 of Ramnagar Municipal Council, BJP’s Makhan Lal and JKNPP’s Raj Mohini were tied at 77 votes each. The BJP candidate won through draw of lot held in the presence of Deputy Commissioner, Udhampur, Ravinder Kumar, who happens to be the District Election Officer.
In Udhampur Municipal Council, Independent Anil Arora and BJP candidate Ajay Mahajan secured equal number of 146 votes. Through draw of lots, Anil Arora won.
In Katra Municipal Committee in Reasi district, BJP’s Ajay Verma and Independent VK Rai took 52 votes each. Rai won through lottery, Deputy Commissioner Reasi, Prasanna Ramaswamy G said.
[With inputs from online reports])