A visit to the Museum imparts knowledge about the civilization of the past and present and adds a glimpse of the future as well. We present to you a list of museums in Jammu that you must pay a visit to:
- Amar Mahal Palace and museum: This iconic building is the unofficial mascot of Jammu. This beautiful specimen of European Architecture, which once housed the Dogra Royalty, now houses a museum.
- Dogra Art Museum: The building alternatively called as the Ajaib Ghar is housed in the Pink Hall of the Mubarak Mandi complex. The museum showcases Basohli miniature paintings, rare manuscripts, terracotta articles and much more.
Read Also: Dogra Art Museum
- Wadia Museum of Natural History: Named after famous Geologist Prof DN Wadia, this less known museum is situated inside the main campus of Jammu University. The museum has a large collection of rocks and minerals with its unique Museum and Art Gallery, is a celebration of the symbiotic relationship of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and showcases the rich cultural heritage and diversity of our State.
- Buddhist heritage site at Ambran, Akhnoor: An ancient Buddhist monastery on the banks of river Chenab as a pilgrimage site. The Buddhist Monastery discovered during excavations was confirmed by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama after his visit to the site in 2011. There is small museum showcasing the history of the site along with old coins and utensils.
Read also: Dals and Dogras – A weekly menu of a typical Dogra household
- Kala Kendra Jammu: In addition to regular handicraft and hand-loom sales and exhibition, the venue has a permanent collection of a number of paintings, sculptures etc put on display.
- Bagh-e-Bahu aquarium: This fish shaped aquarium, in addition to 400 different species of fish also has a museum, multimedia centre and public gallery for visitors’ attraction.
Do visit to satisfy your curious mind.