M Venkaiah Naidu, the candidate of the ruling BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, will going to be India’s 13th Vice-president.
In final vote count, Naidu received 516 votes out of 760 valid votes, while opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi got the support of 244 parliamentarians. The result even exceeded the BJP’s own expectation as according to reports 19 opposition parties also voted in favour of Naidu.
Here are 10 important things you should know about the new vice-president:
1. Born on July 1, 1949 in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, Venkaiah Naidu had interest in politics since childhood. He joined ABVP in 1973 as a student leader.
2. Naidu was a student leader in VR College Nellore, where he completed his bachelor’s degree in politics and diplomatic studies.
3. Naidu acquired a degree in law from Andhra University, where he was made the President of the ABVP union of all colleges under Andhra University. He actively participated in the famous Jai Andhra Movement in 1972.
4. He stepped into mainstream politics with election as an MLA in Andhra Pradesh Assembly in 1978. He was re-elected as the MLA in 1983 as well.
After being the state president for BJP’s Andhra Pradesh unit from 1988 to 1993, he became the national general secretary of the party from 1993 to 2000. In between, he also served as the party spokesperson from 1996 to 2000.
5. Naidu is also a two-time BJP national party president, between July-December 2002 and the second time between January-December 2004. He also served as a BJP vice president from April 2005 to January 2006.
6. Naidu is a four-time Rajya Sabha MP, first elected in the Upper House in 1998 from Karnataka. He was re-elected in 2004, 2010 and 2016.
7. Before nomination to vice-president post, Venkaiah Naidu was Union Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Information and Broadcasting Minister under the Narendra Modi government.
8. Naidu also held the portfolio of Union Minister for rural development in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government between September 2000 and June 2002.
9. Naidu is also the founder of Swarna Bharath Trust, a social service organisation that runs a school for poor, orphaned and special-needs children and imparts self-employment training programmes especially for women and youth.
10. Married to Usha, couple has a daughter and a son.